Pages

Monday 29 June 2015

SURF SOUND : CRUISE 2016 BY HEDI SLIMANE FOR SAINT LAURENT

In my eyes, SAINT LAURENT as a fashion house can do no wrong. Last night's menswear SS16 collection acted as some sort of tribute to the 90s, Kurt and Courtney, as well as all things grunge.

I've seen a lot of people slating this collection, saying it's nothing unique, it's half-hearted etc but it's all my fever dreams and more. SAINT LAURENT isn't for the faint hearted, it's for the rockstars. It's the kind of thing you see the coolest cats wearing as they fall out of clubs in Soho at 5AM. There's something about this collection that screams high end thrift store, trashy rockstar and all I can think about is how much I want it in my wardrobe. 

[Hi Saint Laurent if you're reading this, I'd do a lot of things for this space bomber jacket...please can I have one?] 

The Kurt influences are blatant and I'm not sad about that. Yeah, we probably don't need anymore 12 year olds quoting Kurt and wearing their Nirvana H&M t-shirts, but this is raw 90s. It's mismatched prints, studded denim and fringed leather, the layering and clashing of plaid shirts and garish printed bomber jackets. It's trashy, but fucking cool. Attention to detail was everything. On the surface, these look appear as if they've been thrown together but if you look closer each piece has something different. 

In my eyes, this collection is still the epitome of Slimane's brand, with tailoring hidden in amongst the drenching of grunge-chic but it's aimed at the youth. There are so many people clashing messy grunge style with tailored pieces and Saint Laurent has now catered to both of these needs. It's bold but it's brilliant.

[photo credit goes to owners] 

1 comment:

  1. Definitely agree with the trashy rockstar theme, also super smart of them to hop on the grunge bandwagon since everyone seems to want to look "tumblr" these days :p its times like this I wish I could afford Saint Laurent :( haha

    www.throughthemoments.com

    ReplyDelete