Pages

Monday 25 August 2014

STYLE INSPO // SKY FERREIRA

STYLE INSPO POSTS // Daisy Lowe's [here] // Matty Healy [here]

I started this STYLE INSPO series back in May and in just three months my I've revamped my style and it's definitely evolved. I think part of the reason is that now I'm working full time, all the clothes I used to lust after to create the look I wanted but couldn't afford, now isn't a problem. As well as that, autumn/winter is on the horizon which has a massive influence on my wardrobe. My style now is a lot sharper than it was back in May, I know who and what influences me a lot better than before which means these STYLE INSPO posts are going to be more accurate. Today's S.I post is centred on a lady that in my eyes is the ultimate cool babe and that lady is Sky Ferreira.

Sky is one of those Marmite girls, you either love her vibe or totally hate it. 22 years old, an American singer song-writer and model she's got the grunge style with a hint of 80s influence down.


Influence wise, I love that Sky has a really simplistic style. Similar to what I said in my Matty Healy post, I think it's much cooler when an outfit consists of basic elements and it's your persona that adds to that vibe, if that makes any sense whatsoever? I think style is all about wearing ace clothes and knowing your individual style, but it's also about the vibe you give off. We all know I love the 'just rolled out of bed look' and lets be honest, Sky exemplifies all my hair goals. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think her make-up is really cool as well. I love a red lip and strong brows, which she pulls off effortlessly and her eyes always have that "I was born to be grunge" feel.
I've noticed that Sky tends to stick to one look but varies her pieces. She loves little mini skirts, with a t-shirt or blouse, leather or denim jacket and a good pair of boots. If I had her legs, I'd be rocking mini skirts left right and centre but I love that she's got her top half covered [call me old fashioned, but I just thinks it looks cooler not having everything on show]. I wonder how many times I'll say 'cool/cooler' in this post, eh?

I'd say Sky and I are similar in a way, we take male elements such as a bulky leather jacket, chunky boots, baggy tee's, plaid shirts and give them a feminine twist, Sky's twist being having her ace legs on show. I think it's refreshing that in the 'celeb' world, Sky has such a laid back, casual style.


It's quite hard to word what I'm about to say, but go with it and lets hope for the best...on nights out/events I tend to ramp up my style and go for something a little unexpected [even though I'm 99.9% sure it'll be all black]  - but at the heart, it still has a 'Gabi' feel to it and I think that's exactly what Sky does at events. All the looks above are very 'Sky' but especially in the 3rd photo it's a bit sharper and sleeker than what she usually wears. I read an interview with VOGUE that spoke to her stylist Ian Bradley and he mentioned that she loved Saint Laurent and I got rather excited because it's no secret that I am obsessed with that brand. Everything about S.L is sharp, the use of black, the tailoring, the campaigns. One of my weaknesses in the fashion world is taking something as iconic and sleek as Saint Laurent and contrasting it with a grunge style, as Sky demonstrates perfectly.
If anything, I think Sky's style just establishes my point that it's incredibly important to know what you like & what suits you. One thing Sky seems to love is messy blonde locks and a red lip, we've already discussed her classic combination of mini-skirts and a jacket, through that she looks fierce and incredibly stylish but that sense of style is very much within her own parameters.


I'm well aware that everyone has different opinions on what 'stylish' is and many people will look at this post and think she needs a good bath, some concealer and her hair brushed - but I absolutely love that grunge/messy look. Even though it's simplistic, there's something very classic about Sky's sense of style. There's a lot of parallels I can draw from this to my Matty Healy post. I mentioned that I tend to dress like the female version of him and if you haven't seen that idea in the outfits I wear on this blog, I think Sky is the best visual representation of the female version of Matty. I wear extremely similar things to them both on a daily basis and there's not a look in this post that I wouldn't recreate.

Sky influences my style with the concept 'less is more', a plain white T and leather skirt, with a good pair of boots and a denim jacket is sometimes just as cool, if not cooler than something overly complex and in your face. As well as that, Sky, in my opinion, is a great demonstration that style isn't just the things you wear, it's how you wear it. Her attitude and persona make up at least 40% [if not more] of her image and I think that's key. I've learnt that firstly you have to decide what suits you, what you feel comfortable in and then work with that - Sky emphasises her legs, other people might show off their tummy - but once you pinpoint that style or that particular look, confidence shines through and that makes you 10x cooler & 10x more attractive.


No comments:

Post a Comment