Pages

Friday 25 July 2014

STYLE INSPO // MATTY HEALY

It's only when I come to write these posts that I realise how hard it is to organise my thoughts and write something that actually makes sense. 

I planned for today's Style Inspo instalment to be based on my 'guy look' and/or Tumblr influences, but mid-post I decided to scrap the idea because it's actually really hard to explain in blogpost form. In the frustration I came up with a much better idea [hopefully] and decided that today's Style Inspo will be based on possibly the coolest guy, ever...Matty Healy.

two fave pictures ever of Matty
There aren't any words to justify how much I love the 1975
It's hard to explain but their EP's and album are so generationally reflective. If you're 18-24, you'll understand what I mean; the themes such as relationships, drugs, sex, alcohol, self reflection and nostalgia are all so relatable. The lyrics are complex and intelligent, if you actually sit and read them they're incredibly deep. Soundwise, the 1975 have a really atmospheric vibe and it's totally unique. Their EP 'Sex' has includes my favourite song of theirs 'You', [I'm definitely a EP 'Sex' kinda girl rather than the album version], plus the EP's 'Music for Cars' has another of my favourite song of theirs 'Me'. 

Aesthetically, the band is a work of art. Everything is so unique to them, their style and creativity seems extremely natural, they're effortlessly cool.


Style wise, Matty Healy is my soul mate. 
The running joke of autumn/winter 2013 between me & my mates was that I dressed as the 'girl version' of Matty, which I'll quite happily take all day every day. Now I'm earning my own money and I can actually fuel my style, I think as the winter approaches you'll all see just where this statement came from in my outfit posts. I don't 'copy' Matty as such, I naturally prefer all black outfits and the classic simplicity of his style; but as far as style inspirations go, Matty is my icon both creatively and fashion-wise. 

In numerous interviews, Matty describes his style as "black & expensive". We all know black clothes make up 80% of my wardrobe & I'm happiest in all black everything, duh. He also mentioned [here] that "90's R&B/soul inspires me...but I dress more like an Englishman...I'm very 80s". Personally, I think Matty is quite indie but just title just doesn't do justice to how cool his style is, 'indie' has just become a throwaway term to describe the way an enormous bunch of people dress. BUT it is actually really hard to pinpoint Matty and his style, it's just very 'the 1975' and that's the best way to describe it. He dresses in a really classic way, however there is an element of street style within his look, but it's not as obvious as George [Daniels, the 1975 drummer ] who seems to channel the A$AP Rocky's vibe quite a bit. 


Outfits heavily based on all black, with an emphasis on layering and textures; if stripped back, the elements to Matty's style are really basic. Ripped skinny black jeans are a staple in his wardrobe, varying between oversized black tee's, shirts and loose knit jumpers; Matty isn't afraid to wear sheer and/or floral shirts, but it's still never looks out of place with his style. Boots are another fixed element in Matty's style, varying from Doc Martens to black loafers. Matty experiments within his own style perameters, if you're a fan you'll remember when he wore the floral shirts for the first time; but he manages to take something so in your face and make it his own.
Compared to Matty, I'm definitely leaning more towards 90s grunge than 80s influence, but there are so many overlaps within our styles and I find myself looking to him most out of everyone for new inspiration. I'm forever watching their videos and searching his tag on Tumblr to have a look at his style and how I could rework it for myself. 

THE ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS TO MATTY'S STYLE 

SKINNY JEANS - a good fitting pair of skinny jeans are an essential in any wardrobe. I think the trick is to try out lots of different places, cheap and expensive; then when you find that pair that make your legs look ace, stick with them. I love Topshop Jamie jeans. Black is a necessity. 

LEATHER JACKET- i'm not saying go out and by a £300 All Saints leather jacket, but finding a leather/pleather jacket that you can sling on with anything is everything. I have a faux leather jacket from H&M and it's brilliant, it goes with everything and anything. I like to buy mine a little oversized for that 'guy' look, so maybe even try out guys jackets while you're in the market? 

A JAZZY SHIRT - i'd love to wear all black day in day out, but sometimes you need something a little bit different to keep your style fresh. Maintaining black throughout all other elements of an outfit but choosing to add a little colour through a shirt or top is your best bet. As black works as a neutral pallet, it leaves you a lot of room to go to town on something jazzy. 

A DUSTER COAT - i'm obsessed with duster coats, long structured blazers and all that at the mo. They're a great way to add a little layering to an outfit and they look super effective with all black outfits as Matty shows in the pics above. 

A GOOD PAIR OF BOOTS - it takes a while, but it's essential. There should be a bank holiday dedicated to hunting down those boots that you'll wear until the heels are hanging off. It's all about finding the right shape for you, pointed toe, rounded toe, whether you want something Chelsea boot esc, something a little more sleek such as the Saint Laurent heeled boots or something a bit more grunge such as Doc Martens. 

BLACK/WHITE TEE'S - these should definitely be in your wardrobe already, but a good quality black and/or white t-shirt are super important. I'm loving the oversized T and jeans look at the moment [think Proudlock off MIC] but regardless, t-shirts are vital. 

ACCESSORIES - Matty's style can on the surface appear to be very repetitive, adding different accessories always gives the illusion of more effort/thought into an outfit. In my opinion, black bags are always a great thing to have laying around, I'm obsessed with backpacks at the moment. Plus, having some dainty jewellery to add to an oversized black tee and skinny jeans just adds a little something to the outfit without detracting it's classic nature. 



All in all, Matty Healy is without a doubt my no.1 style icon. He's so effortlessly cool and classic with his style which I think sometimes we all need to take a little inspiration from; stripping things back to basics and playing around with textures, layering and monochrome is sometimes more striking than layering prints and what not. 
I'm really excited for it to start getting cooler so I can show you guys what I mean by my style being similar to his, it's always autumn/winter that it's most evident. 

No comments:

Post a Comment